Tuesday, July 12, 2011

The Great Indoors | What Fresno Wants

Well, Fresno, it?s that time of year again when we are consumed with trying to find new ways to beat the heat. We?re no strangers to week-long stretches of triple-digit temperatures, and often during these heat waves we find ourselves doing what? Window shopping at Fashion Fair Mall ? sequestering ourselves at the $3-movies ? crowding into McDonald?s indoor play areas ? or hogging the inflatable kiddie pool from our kids (Shame on me! Uh, I mean YOU). I?ve yet to see anyone camping out in Winco?s freezer section, but I?ve been tempted.

I do give credit to Clovis and Fresno for building water play areas within Todd Beamer Park and the Fig Garden Loop Park, opening up school libraries and pools, and getting somewhat creative with cooling center options. But, I think we can capitalize on an idea that has worked well for our neighbors about 1,100 miles to the east.

While talking with a friend who used to live in Denver, she mentioned that there are year-round indoor recreation centers there that have swimming pools and other recreation activities. I think a large indoor sports complex would be a great addition to the Fresno area. Not only could it house a swimming pool, but what about a running/bicycle track; basketball, tennis, and racquet ball courts; a large playground with jungle gym; soccer courts; and even a performance stage ? yes, all indoors! Just some thoughts; let your imagination run wild.

I know a variety of these things already exist in various forms around town, but having a universal indoor sports complex could serve as a prime community gathering place and benefit us all. The complex could further enhance the push for us to live healthier lifestyles by providing optimum temperatures and conditions for exercise and play. No more, ?It?s too hot to go walking.? Plus the indoor environment protects against concerns about poor air quality. Also, the construction and management of the facility would create additional local jobs (bingo!). Finally, it would be another point of community pride that would be a positive showpiece in transforming the national perception of Fresno.

So am I crazy, or do you think this is a worthwhile idea? Can you see the vision?

I've always valued the ideas of others and a community's tribal knowledge. That's why, as a transplant to Fresno, I thought it'd be a great idea to help create a forum where positive ideas and information could be shared. I love all that Fresno has to offer, but I am more excited about where we're headed as a community. Our future is in our hands, and I hope this blog is a catalyst for the ideas that will enhance our quality of life for generations to come. This entry was posted in What Fresno Wants. Bookmark the permalink.

Source: http://www.whatfresnowants.com/2011/07/the-great-indoors/

pangea robert robert new mexico fires new mexico fires avery avery

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.